Serve up these healthy Halloween treats.
For kids, Halloween is all about candy and sweets. However, your child cannot subsist on sugar alone. Make sure that your kids eat something more substantial by serving up this healthier take on macaroni and cheese.
Toxic Waste Mac and Cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- green food coloring
- 1-pound dry pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 head fresh cauliflower, cut and steamed
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine. Simmer, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and whisk to combine and remove all lumps.
- Add the salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and mustard, stir to combine.
- Continue cooking until mixture starts to simmer, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the grated cheese. Stir until melted and completely combined.
- Add the drained spinach, stir to combine. Add a few drops of green food coloring if desired.
- Add the drained pasta and stir until completely coated.
- Stir in the steamed cauliflower, and serve immediately.
This festive take on macaroni and cheese is sure to entice your kids this Halloween. Are you looking for assistance with your insurance this holiday? If so, then contact the experts at Randy Jones Insurance Services in Pleasanton, California. We are ready to get you the coverage that you need today.